The best time to choose a pediatric dentist is before your child needs one. Childhood is a magic time but also a time filled with unforeseen accidents, falls and sports injures to the mouth. A broken tooth can be saved if it is treated in time. This is why it is so important to have a pediatric dentist beforehand. Follow these recommendations from the American Dental Association and before finding the right pediatric dentist for your child.
Ask for Recommendations for Pediatric Dentists
Ask other parents, friends and family members for recommendations for a good children’s dentist. Also ask your own dentist about his or her experience with pediatric dentistry. A good pediatric dentist will tell you up front if he or she is experienced in treating kids or babies. Your dentist and your dentist’s staff can help you find candidates in your area from the field of pediatric dentistry.
Other people to ask for recommendations include:
- Your doctor
- Your child’s pediatrician
- Your pharmacist
- Your child’s school or daycare center
- Your place of worship
- Your local government representative’s office staff, which often has lists of local businesses, including pediatric dentistry.
Check Out Dental Association Websites when seeking a Pediatric Dentist in Wichita
Both the American Dental Association and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists (AAPD) have easy to use “find a dentist” features on the home pages of their websites. Just enter your ZIP code and you quickly get a list of all pediatric dentists in the area. The AAPD search feature is updated every week.
Many of the results will include links to the pediatric dentist’s webpage. Click on the links to find out the answers to these questions in order to help you find the right one to call:
- Are the office hours compatible with your lifestyle?
- What kind of payments are accepted?
- Does this practice also do emergency pediatric dentistry, or do they stick to regular office hours?
- What languages are spoken?
Go for Consultations
Don’t just make an appointment at the closest dentist office you find. You need to check it out to make sure this dentist is a good fit for you and your child. Make an appointment to talk to the dentist about your child’s particular needs and check out other important features:
- How is the parking?
- Is the office easy to find? This is important in times of emergency when you and your child are stressed out.
- Is the waiting area clean? Does it smell?
- Does the waiting area have child-sized chairs or toys or anything that may be inviting for a frightened child?
- Is the staff friendly?
- How does the staff keep the chairs and equipment clean and free from contaminants?
- How are your child’s medical records kept? Is it easy to get copies when needed?
Take all of these factors into account before bringing your child in for the first time.
You Can Always Change Your Mind
Despite all the preparations it is still possible that the pediatric dentist you chose just does not get along with you or your child. Do not worry about finding the right pediatric dentist the first time. The field of pediatric dentistry and family dentistry are popular ones so even in rural areas, there are often several practices or clinics to choose from.
It is more important that your child has someone to go to for check-ups or emergencies than not going to anyone for fear that he or she is not the perfect pediatric dentist. The American Dental Association recommends that babies should have their first check up before they celebrate their first birthday. From then on, children should see a pediatric dentist every six months.
Pauly Dental offers pediatric dentistry services at our Wichita, Kansas dental practice. Call Wichita Pediatric Dentist Pauly Dental today to discuss your options and available treatment plans. Call us at (316) 263-0889 or send us a message.